Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Baseball and An Old Bridge


Watch Out For Flying Objects
Bats, Balls, Etc.
Left to Right; Gina Ascercion, "Gamer Bird", Lauren Alexander at AT&T Park on April 13, 2011
I found the Giants hat I'm wearing and we beat LA!

     During the past two years I've been working in the historic South End District of San Francisco so its been easy to catch some Giant's games. I've enjoyed exploring this vibrant, thriving part of The City with old red brick buildings that remind me of Boston. On Mission Creek, the funky houseboats are refreshing in comparison to the more touristy ones in Sausalito.

     Each weekday as the sun rises over the bay I cross the historic Lefty O'Doul Bridge just past China Basin Park then spanning over McCovey Cove next to AT&T Park. It was built in 1932 and is sometimes referred to as a drawbridge or bascule bridge, a French term for seesaw and balance (see videos below). If you look West and use your imagination it can be reminiscent of the Venice canals. And if the siren blows, you either walk down a block or learn to cultivate some patience.
.